Relationships where there is intimate partner violence are nuanced and difficult to understand. We hope this timeline illuminates some of the patterns of coercive control and isolation often present in these kinds of relationships.
● Meets Terry while purchasing a vehicle at Don Carlton’s Acura dealership
● Agrees to lunch with him and the pair begin dating
●Terry takes April on lavish dates, trips to Dallas on private jets, trips to Jamaica and the Bahamas.
●On Christmas Eve 1995, while on vacation in the Bahamas, Terry proposes to April and the two agree to marry in April of the following year.
●The relationship deteriorates and the two break off their engagement.
●On April’s 25th birthday (on April 25, 1996), Terry attacks April in his home, choking her in a violent rage.
April and Terry’s relationship is on-again, off-again
● Terry invites April on a trip to Rome. He attacks her in their hotel room after becoming infuriated she was talking to her son, Hunter, while he was trying to sleep. The attack is interrupted by Steve Hatchett who can hear Terry beating April.
● April seeks a PO against Terry with the help of then-attorney at Hall Estill, Claire Eagan. Judge Eagan is now a District Judge for the United States District Court in the Northern District of Oklahoma. Judge Eagan was able to obtain an EPO for April.
● Terry violates the emergency protective order and threatens April. She does not seek a permanent protective order
● Terry begins a pattern of psychological abuse and emotional manipulation by claiming to be physically ill, depressed, and suicidal.
●April is taking care of Terry whenever she is not with her son, Hunter, due to Terry’s claims of physical illness and a Guillain Barre diagnosis.
● They continue their relationship in an on-again, off-again manner.
●Terry manipulates April into visiting his home on Valentine’s Day, telling her he has a present for her. April brings her son, Hunter, with her to pick up the gift. When she arrives and becomes frustrated with Terry, she tries to leave the upstairs bedroom. Hunter is waiting downstairs. Terry tackles April and pins her to the ground. She screams and Hunter comes running upstairs. Terry backs off and April calls the police to make a report.
●April’s business has started to fail due to the chaos in her personal life. She turns to Terry for financial, business, and legal help.
● Terry convinces April to try meth with him. He subsequently accuses her of stealing and holds her captive for 3 days. She is held captive and raped by Terry. Terry calls police and reports April for stealing. When April explains what happened, they tell her she isn’t making sense and she should go home.
● April stops speaking to Terry and changes her phone number
● April experiences multiple break ins and prowler events. She calls the police frequently, but they never catch the prowler.
● April continues to experience break ins and prowler events with no help from the police.
● April’s childhood friend, Carrie Gaston, calls April pleading for financial help. April’s business is in dire straits. She turns to Terry for financial help for her friend. Terry gives April a check with instructions to cash it, give all but $2,000 to Carrie, bring him the $2,000 and use his credit card to purchase food and other items. April does as instructed, using Terry’s car and credit card with permission. April attempts to purchase Terry’s groceries.
● The store calls Terry to find out if he has given April permission to use the card. Terry tells the story April stole the card and she is his crazy ex-girlfriend. Terry arrives at Walmart with the police, tells them he doesn’t want to make a report, and tells them he will drive April home in his car.
● Terry kidnaps April and rape her violently in his home. He forces valium down her throat. When she wakes up she can’t move. She’s scared and she asks Terry to call an ambulance.
● She reports the rape. The police initially handcuff Terry, but then Sgt. Rick Helberg orders Terry released and officers to simply file a report.
● April asks the officer who accompanies her to the hospital for help getting her purse. The officer refuses because Terry scares her.
● Terry harrasses April into refusing to cooperate with the police in pursuing the rape charge. The rape charges are dismissed.
● April breaks things off with Terry and begins spending time with Luke Draffin.
● Terry devolves into obsession quickly. He continues to break in her home, while she is there. He breaks her outside doors leading to her bedroom. He obtains a key to her changed locks. He breaks her inside bedroom door. He cuts her phone lines. He bugs her house. He threatens her life.
●Luke lets Terry into April’s home. He was armed with a .22, stun gun, billy club, and pepper spray. He attempts to rape her. April escapes, grabs the gun Luke gave her for protection, and tries to shoot Terry. The gun does not fire.
● Terry arrives at April’s home on 2/21 with a loaded 9mm. April calls police and Terry is arrested. The officer calls a judge and gets an EPO. Terry violates the order the next day. April calls police again. Officer Tallman refuses to take any action against Terry.
●April flees her home after Terry has arrived again, threatening her. She runs to a church parking lot and begins to pray out loud. Officer Aaron Tallman is dispatched and decides to have April involuntarily committed to Parkside Mental Health Facility.
● April is transferred from Parkside to Eastern State Mental Health Hospital, where Terry continues to visit her against her will, causing her to become agitated.
● April is released to 12 and 12 drug rehab facility, where she immediately flees.
●April hitchhikes home from 12 and 12 to find her home totally destroyed by Terry.
● April spends the day thinking about her situation and tries to get help from several friends to get away from Terry. She is unsuccessful and decides to visit Terry to make peace and convince him to leave her alone. April believed Terry would either listen to her and let her go live her life in peace or he would murder her.
●She is unsuccessful and decides to visit Terry to make peace and convince him to leave her alone. April believed Terry would either listen to her and let her go live her life in peace or he would murder her.
● Terry rapes, beats, and tries to break April’s neck. Terry rapes her repeatedly throughout the evening and then threatens to “rape her up the ass” and kill her after handcuffing her. April is able to get a gun and shoots Terry as he is lunging at her.
*This timeline is sourced from trial testimony and April's own recollections of what happened.